Sunday, August 31, 2008

Donuts





Just a quick entry to record something cute, by Mom-standards anyway. A little background information: Gary likes this cartoon called "Big Foot". It's about little monster trucks who go to school to learn how to do all the smashing and crashing and crushing and big truck tricks that they need to know how to do to be good monster trucks. One of the tricks that they do is spinning donuts in the mud.

Today Papa (Buddy) bought him a pack of powdered donuts. I don't think he's ever had them. At first he was mistakenly calling them "do-nots" as in "do not do that again". After we corrected him a few times he was pronouncing "donut" correctly. Then suddenly he got this look on his face. It was the kind of look where there should have been a light bulb floating above his head. He then said something that I didn't understand, and I asked him to repeat himself. Then he said "Monster trucks (then Gary turned in a circle) donuts." He was telling me that monster trucks do donuts, but he couldn't quite figure out which words to use, so the turning became his verb. I laughed and congratulated him on being so clever. I had never even noticed them talking about doing donuts on the show, but I guess he had filed it away. His 3 year old mind had made the connection between the literal and figurative uses of the word. Cool, huh?

No comments: